C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Reply Cards?

I am not even sure I realized what reply cards were until my sister Marilyn proposed this challenge.  We were to create a small work of art using "reply cards" from magazines...those annoying things we generally rip out and throw in the recycling.  Not any more!

In addition to the replay cards we could use glue...that was it.




I was surprised to discovered that reply cards are actually pretty cool.  They have a nice weight...so are easy to work with...and they can be quite colorful and interesting.

Here is what I came up with.  The background was made by glueing several layers of cards...to give it stability and to create a landscape.








I rolled paper tubes for the frame and created a tree out of the little black and white bar codes and words which floats over the background giving it dimension.

It's a little goofy...but was fun to do.



Marilyn made a colorful field of flowers
...with one flower
"out standing in her field"



I enjoy Marilyn's whimsical
style...it hangs in my craft room.

Below it is Nate's collage....and notice
the poem and picture made by
my niece, Clarke, several years
ago. Clarke helped me get this
blog started and wrote
the very first post.




















I love that Clarke made this for me....but what really makes me smile is that the woman in the picture doesn't have any hands....or arms for that matter!  Cracks me up because it's about my beautiful hands! 

I love you Clarke! This is a treasure!


2 comments: