C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

"Give An Iota"


Certainly my hope is that anyone who checks out this blog finds something fun or interesting...or maybe even inspiring. But it doesn't really matter because it's a good thing for me. It's connecting me to my stories and memories as I peruse my photographs. It's helping me be more observant of my space...and the world around me. As I write about things I have hand made or collected I get to revisit, investigate, discover, and rediscover. My collections, creations, connections, and stories bring me joy...and working on this blog reminds me how lucky I am.  

The story behind the iota paper used on these squares is a perfect example...I would never have investigated it had it not been for this blog...and what I learned made me love it even more.

The Story of the Squares

I mentioned these squares in the post about Denyce's doodle art and I wanted to give a little more information about them.

Like I said before I used paint panels...wooden canvases for oils, acrylics or any kind of art. They come in all sizes and are very reasonable. I get mine at Artist and Craftsman Supply in Portland, Maine.  They come in standard and deep profile.  You can stain them, paint them, or cover them with fabric or other material.  I often stain them....but these are painted black.

Because they are wooden they are ideal for adhering paper, photos or anything else....an easy and inexpensive way to frame something.






The wrapping paper is from a company called "iota"...and I have loved and collected their products for a long time.  I am drawn to the bright but earthy colors and the patterns just make me happy.  As I was searching for a website I came across an interesting article found here called "Give an Iota".....we all have heard the phrase "I don't give an iota."  The article talks about the journey of Kelly Alford, the designer and company creator.  She believes it's the little things that often mean the most....and creating the colors and patterns for her line brings her joy...

"I have created iota to be a wake up call to beauty, to fun, to being bold and taking a chance, and to remind you that this is and can be a well designed world, if we allow ourselves a colorful life," Alford said. "Our hope is iota designs - on any surface - will encourage you to think about the little things. And how, if they are recognized, treasured and combined properly, in time, they might just move mountains."

The iota brand is now marketed under the name C R Gibson and the products can be found in a variety of stores.  I know them when I see them....and I am always drawn to them.

Here is some of my collection of iota products...tags, napkins, notepads and notecards....and this dear little expresso cup.  I actually use this to hold small tools on my craft table.  And to be honest...I mostly use the other things to cut up for projects...but I do keep one of the notepads in my purse.

This bright little iota pouch doubles as a camera case and a little purse when I walk downtown for an errand or a movie.

Dear little scraps I can't 
bear to throw away
that I use for
collaging.
I used some of the scraps to cover this Altoid tin for my friend Janice.  She uses it for her small knitting tools.  Thanks Janice for texting me the photos.

And yes...I have fabric.  The quote at the top of this post is on the salvage edge...."every iota makes a difference."













This is a bundle of heavier weight iota papers that were given to me by 
my friend Becky...used to make the squares.




A glimpse into my wrapping paper bin...most of it iota.










Yes, I have chosen a colorful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment