C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Before There Was Pinterest...

...I collected images the old fashioned way.

I recently posted about my love for images...and it goes way back.  My sister Angie used to collect images and ideas from magazines and put them in photo albums and sketch books and every time I visited I would go through them over and over.  Then I started my own image journals...inspired by my sister Angie...and the concept of an "illustrated discovery journal" by Sarah Ban Breathnach in her book Simple Abundance. Sarah encourages you to collect images that speak to you....looking for colors combinations and styles that catch your eye.
This was my first image journal way back in 1996.





If you give me a magazine I hope you don't want it back....because I'm going to rip it up.  If something catches my eye...out it comes.  The pages sit in a pile for a while....then I spend an evening cutting things out...and they sit again.  Finally they get pasted in my books...mostly by theme or color.  I actually like all the steps.



Yes....I have a few books and enough ripped pages to do it all over again. Because of this post...I put my feet up and went through the books again.  Some of my tastes have changed but most have not.  

There's lots of color...especially blues and greens, and blue and white. There are pops of red and seasonal colors like orange as well as seasonal decorating. There are things that are stacked and things that are collected. There are lots of kitchens and collage walls, kids and crafts,...and oddly enough hands and feet...and it all brings me joy.  What brings you joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment