C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Frick Bits...

...along the New England Coast.  
This is probably more interesting to me than any of you...but here I go anyway....I did say I would report back.

I wrote a while back about Laura Frick and her data art.  I installed her Frickbits app on my phone and it has been tracking my travels...or more accurately, my phone's travels for a few weeks now. To the left is a zoomed out view....showing my travels along the coast to Maine...and now to the Cape. This screen shot was yesterday before Provincetown.

Below is a zoomed in view of my travels in, around, and out of Lexington...including my walks...when I carried my phone.



The small bits of color represent frequent routes...apparently more patterns will develop over time.

Laura says that the program sometimes connects dots that shouldn't be connected....a quirk in the GPS technology.  As you can see in this view....we didn't go for a couple of boat rides in the bay. But other than that it's fairly accurate. The multicolored bunches showed where we spent more time.
This view on the left shows more a little more zoomed in detail of some of our travels around the arm of the Cape...and shows that you can change the color palette.  

Below is a shot of my travels in and around the peninsulas of Portland and South Portland.  This time the travel over the water is on bridges.


I'm not quite sure what I will do with it...but for now I will just leave it on my phone and take a look once in a while.  Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment