C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Martha's Vineyard Project

Since I'm in my glass mode....I thought I would share the story of a major stained glass project I took on over 10 years ago with my good friend Gail.



Gail and her husband Doug own one of the well known gingerbread cottages on "the campground" in Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard.  The campground is an early 19th century Methodist "campmeeting" site. Groups gathered and tented in community circles....and came back to the same spot every year. Over time the tents became more permanent structures and eventually these charming cottages. You can read more about this rich history on the Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association website found here.

It's a spectacularly beautiful place...like nowhere I've ever been before.  It's a perfect place to sit on your porch...it's almost a requirement.

I have a lot of pictures and couldn't decide which to show....so here are several of the charming cottages...starting with a larger view of Gail and Doug's...it's appropriately called "Respite!"




In the center of the campgrounds sits a beautiful Tabernacle that was built in 1879. The amazing structure has open air sides and beautiful stained glass. It is still in constant use for religions services, hymn sings, family movie nights, and numerous community events and fundraisers.  








I should mention that Gail was my assistant and partner while I was a special education teacher in Falmouth, Maine. She and I made a great team....in and out of the classroom.

Now onto the project.  Gail and Doug were active in the Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association and were working on fundraising projects for the 125th anniversary celebration of the Tabernacle.



Gail and I worked together to design and mass produce these small stained glass pieces honoring the stained glass in the Tabernacle.  In the center was a black and white image of the Tabernacle and the commemorative information. The image was printed on clear transparency sheets and sandwiched between two pieces of glass....so you can see through it.  We made 50 in the blue and gold scheme...and 50 in the red and gold scheme and they were sold at the Museum Gift Shop.



Many of the windows in the cottages are this gothic style.  I made this window for a raffle drawing.

This was quite a memorable project Gail and Doug! Thanks for letting me be part of it.

Have a good summer on the Vineyard!  I hope to make it back sometime!




No comments:

Post a Comment