C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Polyvore...

...creative entertainment!

I had seen interesting collages on Pinterest with lots of textures and patterns....and I wondered how they were done. I noticed that many of them were from "Polyvore" so I finally visited the site to see if I could learn more.

Found on Pinterest
Even when I read the description on their website found here....I didn't really understand what it was. It seemed to be about fashion and product advertising. But when I wandered around I realized it was much more.  The site has lots of images to make your own collage using their templates or a blank page...but the images were mostly commercial products.  What I found was you could also upload your own images to make your own digital collages.  In Pinterest you "pin" images to save them....in Polyvore you "clip" them.


One I created
It reminds me of my son Nate's technical music called "sampling." He imports songs into his computer...then using several different tiny sound bites he manipulates them and puts them back together into a whole new sound, or "beat" as it's called in the hip hop world.

On Polyvore you take pieces and parts from different images and manipulate them to use in a digital collage piece. Below are a couple of pages from my Pinterest inspired art journal with some of my first collages.  On the left I added some embellishment using floss and beads....it's hard to see in this picture.  The bird on the right is not part of the collage...just glued on top for the journal.




This page was done in Ellen's journal....and many of these images were from her Pinterest pages.


Like any other art medium...it takes practice...and I need a lot of practice!  I still tend to overwork and overdo...not knowing when to stop.  But for now it's just creative entertainment...so it works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment