C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Folly Fan Tree

Remember the paper fans?  I used a combination of used book pages and Christmas scrapbook paper to fold hundreds of fans.  It was a good excuse to sit and watch movies.
Most of them ended up on this table top tree in one of the front store windows.


And it was two sided...this is the view from the sidewalk.


I started with a piece of lath...several large pieces of foam core...and just figured it out as I went along. Once I glued on the lath...I built up the edges of the tree with popsicle sticks so it would be level with the lath so I could could attach the top piece of foam core. I decoupaged the whole thing with pieces of book pages to cover all the edges and seams.

Next I started playing around with fan placement.  I did this on the floor in my front foyer so I could go up a few stairs to get some distance and perspective. Once I settled on the garland look I knew it was right...but it still needed a little something.
So I added the flat punched red and green balls. I think it helped give it depth.  I also liked how the shiny shell buttons gave it a little subtle bling.



In order to secure it in the silver bucket I used a few bricks and filled the bucket with sand.



To finish it off I made an oversized dimensional paper fan that was suspended from the ceiling.


Stay tuned....there were many more book page/fan projects for this particular Christmas season.


2 comments:

  1. I remember that project! It was huge--and a great success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....it had lots or pieces and parts and I was pleased with it. There's more to come.

      Delete