C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, October 5, 2015

Merry and Bright

It's time for another set of Folly 101 Christmas windows...this time from 2010. This is the outside view...so pardon the glare.

The classic words from from White Christmas were the inspiration for these windows.

"May your days be merry and bright....


This is the inside view. Each layer of the tree is suspended from the previous one....so it hangs as one unit from the ceiling....over a silver bucket loaded with gifts. The topper, which is from Folly's logo, hangs on its own.  I also used the logo as the spacer squares.                                   
To make the tree I cut square lath in graduated lengths and painted them all a dark green.  It took some planning to fit in the words keeping it symmetrical and looking like a tree.  One more piece of lath needed.
For the letters I used several layers of card stock...to make it nice and sturdy...and to add interest with the mix of papers.  It had to be two sided....but it needed to read in the opposite direction on the other side. I had to check and double check before I glued the letters together.  I inserted ribbon tabs in top and bottom of each card for the lath to slide through. I made the stencil on my computer using a very large font. The words "merry" and "bright" were cut out of glitter card stock and the other words out of white card stock.

For the other window..."And may all your Christmases be white" I used the same lettering on green and white squares. Again this was two sided and had to read in the opposite direction on the other side. All the letters were cut from white glitter card stock.

I glued the words onto a long white ribbon hanging from an oversized snowflake that I made out of large paint sticks and popsicle sticks.  
For the side windows I made garlands of small squares mimicking the colors in each window.


This picture was taken while we were in process from the outside and it's a little clearer.  I was quite proud of this tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment