C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Dreaming vs Doing

It's amazing how much you can do in a day when you are all alone with absolutely no responsibilities. I had a lot of fun with the terns this morning on a nice long beach walk...did a little bit of workout in the pool...and enjoyed a nice soak in the hot tub. I also took a little time to work on my next assignment for the "Joyful Artful Me" project and created a little digital sunshine. It's an overcast day today...but I kind of like overcast days.

And...you end up doing a lot of thinking when your only distraction is answering the door trying to convince the housekeeper that your room doesn't need servicing today.  So here I go....and just to warn you...I have another whole day just like this tomorrow.

Dreaming vs Doing.......

Way back when we were first married Paul and I met a man named Dick Duer. Paul thought it was pretty funny so gave me the nick name "Dick Doer"...and it has stuck with me all these years.  It guess it's sort of fitting: I like to tackle projects and get things done, (at least the things I want to do) and I'm not afraid to jump in and figure things out as I go along. I'm not always successful...but that doesn't seem to stop me.

cute little guy!
But I'm also a dreamer. I have dreamed for years about getting organized, offering craft workshops, and more healthy living. But there was something about hearing Shonda Rhimes say "ditch the dream and be a doer" that hit home. "Happy, successful people are busy doing."

Those of you who know me well have probably had to endure hours of me talking about all these wonderful things I dream about doing....like offering craft workshops, organizing girls' nights out, and most recently packaging and selling really cool collections of papers, beads, and strings for crafters.

Well...the truth of the matter is....I am not a business woman...and I don't want to be one.  I suck at it. I don't want to guess what people want in a workshop....and I don't want to try and figure how what kind of packaging...or contents...for that matter, will attract attention on Etsy. I just want to be "Dick Doer"...tackling the creative projects that are already in front of me and the ones that present themselves in the future. And I want to be a resource for those who ask...teaching them something new, brainstorming ideas or sharing supplies.

So tell me what you need help with and I'll try and help you. Tell me what craft supply you're looking for...and if I have it...I will give it to you. If you have a few friends who want a girls' night out and want to learn something I have blogged about....tell me and I'd love to do that. Not many things make me happier than sitting with someone teaching them what I know about digital art...or how to needle felt.  And, I love it when I have just the right fabric or card stock for someone's project. I am going to "ditch the dreams and be a doer." That's what I'm good at!

(If you have twenty minutes to spare....and are interested in hearing the commencement speech Shonda delivered at Dartmouth where she gave the "ditch the dream" advice.....you can watch it here on youtube.) 

2 comments:

  1. Just wait until you get back - I have a whole bunch of ideas that we can "do"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to it! I'm ready to tackle some of that church office art and I'm wondering what else you have up your sleeve!

      Delete