C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 8, 2016

Week One

Don't chuckle...but I finished my week one Artful Joyful Me coloring project. I was transported right back to my childhood...and I had a great childhood! OK...you can go ahead and chuckle.


The goal was to get us coloring...and work on blending with colored pencils. We all worked on the same hand drawn picture done by the facilitator.

I chose to add the gold foil wing...and I'm particularly fond of my purple sun! I added the gradient background digitally.

Here is some of what I learned:

I was pleasantly surprised how well baby oil works for blending when used in VERY small amounts....it allows you to move the color around.

I need to remember to blend from light to dark...I would forget that and lose my lighter shades and highlights.

Don't apply too much color....and don't overwork a spot.  (I have the same problem when I watercolor...ending up with a muddy mess.)  If you overwork or apply too much color it won't move. The tooth of the paper soaks up the pigment and the color get stubborn.  Knowing when to stop has alway been a challenge for me.

Use a light hand and sharp pencils...I didn't like taking the time to sharpen...but it was always worth it.

Most importantly....don't take to seriously!  It's coloring!

Here's the link to the 10 minute youtube blending video that we referenced. It's very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment