C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

I Love Shelving!

The cabinets in the South Portland house are hung too high....which I've learned to live with. But since I had a carpenter working in the house I asked for some shelving to make use of some of that space. If you've paid attention throughout this blog....or if you've been to my houses you know I love shelving.

I will likely spent hours styling them...but the drywall hasn't been sanded so things are still tucked away...or covered in dust.  Patience!.....I keep telling myself. I did find a few things to try...and to make my little photo shoot more interesting.

At first I thought we were going to do white floating shelves the same width as the cupboards...but what Kyle and I settled on was more rustic shelves from reclaimed lumber and black iron brackets. It makes a nice transition from the white cabinets to the granite counter top.  I also decided to leave room at the end for the lamp....I like that soft light in the evening.  I actually like the fact that the shelf is not centered.

Kyle also built a bookcase for the wall next to the counter....and it also has a rustic reclaimed wooden top. This will be a good spot for cookbooks, bowls and other pretty things.  He backed it in bead board to tie into the island. He primed it...but I have to paint it which will be on my to do list sometime this spring.


At the other end of the counter Kyle built a corner shelf just wide enough for coffee cups and possibly spices etc on down the road.  Again...I'll just have to play with it.  He had to cut this one down a bit so I'm putting a little sealer on one end...hence the blue tape on the wall.  



I had to pull the Cheerio Boxes back out when we were trying to determine the height so we could stand back and look.  So it's one box and a board width off the top of the counter....just in case you were wondering. 
Also...thank goodness it hasn't been too cold because my only heat source is a space heater.  The new thermostat is still not working.  Patience!

2 comments:

  1. made to order!! looks like what we talked about is coming true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....it just takes a little money and guys with skills.

      Delete