C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, March 27, 2016

On a Roll!

When I was in Colorado helping Margie, my mother-in-law....I got on a roll, so to speak, making paper tubes.  Some of them were used to finish up the indigo frame...but most of them were used to make this mirror.

All the tubes were made from recycled art magazine pages....with soft but bright colors. 


I started with a basic square unfinished frame that came with a mirror.  I wanted to do something interesting with the back and sides ...so I decoupaged scraps of the art magazine pages. This is the back....
 ....and this is the front....to be covered in the tubes.

Just getting started. Inspired by my friend Ellen...I have gotten in the habit of wrapping some of the tubes in gold and or silver thread. It adds a little texture and a touch of whimsy.  



Almost there! I actually like all the fly-away ends of the threads....someone else may think it needs a haircut.
Voilà....another finished project!
My intention was to create a sort of horizon line...so I created a skyish top...with the blues and the yellows. Then I just added layers of random color.  In hindsight...the blue is a little wide...and I wish I would have separated the blue and purple...but it's not as glaring in person. I'm still quite happy with it. 



I think it's a perfect companion to the velum mobiles.

And...just for fun....this is a wider view of my dining room table. I tend to make really big messes....and I seldom clean up in between. And...no matter how much I try....I can't seem to work any other way. Supplies are spread out all over our house and it will take me weeks to get things put away. I just clear an area big enough to work...and sometimes end up having to use my lap.  Welcome to my world!  




2 comments:

  1. totally love the project, thanks for the shout-out, and I LOVE that your table and work habits are like mine! Can't wait to see this in "real life" Ellen

    ReplyDelete