C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, December 12, 2016

Coat of Many Colors

Margie up grew up during the depression and I love hearing her heartwarming stories about their simple life on the ranch in Nebraska. Yesterday while we were sharing Christmas memories she told me about one of her most memorable Christmas gifts made by her Aunt Jennie. Aunt Jennie wasn't an aunt by blood....but by choice.  She was from Sweden and worked for Margie's grandmother's family. She was much loved and very much a part of the family.

Some of the scraps from my wool project.
As you know I'm quite fond of scraps.
One Christmas when Margie was in the 4th grade Aunt Jennie gathered scraps of shiny silk and wool from the local tie factory and lovingly sewed the small pieces together. From these patchwork pieces she made Margie and each of her siblings a bathrobe. The girls got shiny ones with puff sleeves and the boys got wool ones with long sleeves. Margie's grandmother Emma carefully covered every seam between every little scrap with colorful feather embroidery stitches making it even more special.  Margie remembers putting on her mother's black suede dress shoes while wearing her beautiful coat of many colors and feeling like a princess.

I love this story! Thank you Margie!

I have done all that I can with my project of many colors with what I 
brought with me. It still needs a little work....but it will have to wait.  




No comments:

Post a Comment