C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Long Stitch

We had our last book binding class on Monday and this time we made a small hard cover book using the long stitch.



Each week Annie has had all the basic supplies cut and ready to go. She always supplies paper for the cover boards...but this time I brought my own.

We started by preparing our book cover boards. Using book tape, which is similar to packaging tape, we taped together our boards on both sides to prepare them for covering.




After spraying the cover paper with glue I wrapped the boards. You read more about the steps in covering the boards here.



I think all handmade books use a template for punching holes...for this book we created two.  Here I'm using the first template as my guide to poke the holes in the spine with my awl.

I made a 2nd template to poke the holes in the signatures to match up with the holes in the spine. This time we had four signatures of 4 folios each. 


The cover is lined and I'm ready to stitch.

The long stitch stitch is fairly simple and like the coptic stitch, this book also will lay flat when open.







Rather than the signatures being stitched to each other...
they are actually stitched right to the spine.


VoilĂ !
I could have added beads or weaved in other fibers....
the possibilities are only limited by my imagination. 


 As part of our materials fee Annie proved a nifty mesh bag with all our supplies.  I love this tote!


I've been carrying my very special bag made by my friend Jane back and forth to class....what's not to love about this! She made if from a jelly roll of batik fabrics sewn around clothesline and it stands up nice and straight. It's one of my favorite bags.


A pretty fun stack of books for a 6 week class....which gets an A+ by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment