C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Artsy Vibe

Once of the realizations I came to during one of my recent wakeful nights was to get a little more artsy with my quilt series. I'm not the best quilt maker...especially piecing and machine quilting so I need to rely more on creative techniques and embellishments. I need to take the best of what I learned from my year long Folt Bolt projects and apply the techniques to these quilts.

I'm actually kind of chuckling as I write this.  I have just admitted that I'm not the best quilt maker....but I've chosen to do a quilt series as a focal point for my show.  What was I thinking???

One of the next quilts in the series is a 10 inch square and will be in a purple scheme. I found the inspiration I needed on Pinterest and got a good start this morning.

I am trying not to be too literal....but still giving a nod to trees on each one.  I thought the design of this small quilt by Ruan Robertson resembled a row of trees. When I saw it the first thing I thought of was that the square shapes in the middle could be different greens...and "attached" rather than pieced in. I could work my Kaffe stripe into the rows at the bottom.

I jumped right in.

I had two coordinating Kaffe stripes I alternated with some purples to create the bottom panel. I used the quilt as you go method...sewing the wonky strips right onto the batting. Although it wasn't needed....I still ended up adding a little top stitching after to define the rows of tree trunks even more.

I didn't want raw edge fused squares....but I took advantage of some hand dyed fabric I already had fusible webbing on one side and turned the edges and created some little (cheating) applique squares.  The orange strip will be used on one of the other quilts.

I finger pressed the folds then carefully tack them with the tip of my iron.  If you touch the webbing...it sticks instantly and really messes up your iron.  Once it was tacked I could flip it over and press it better on the non stick paper backing I had saved.  It won't stick to that "release" paper....it peals right off.



I did get some glue on the iron...but it came right off by rubbing it with a dryer sheet while the iron was hot.  I think that might clean off any gunk on your iron....it works like a dream. I learned that in my fusing class.

The nice thing about this technique is that each little square has a little exposed fusible webbing on the back.  This will allow me to fuse/tack them in place. 

They will still need to be stitched on but a little lose edge will give it some dimension. I'll have to play around with that....I may even add a button here and there.  I decided to add in a few of the mini striped batik squares for variety and texture. I like that every quilt in the series will have some of the same fabric elements making it more cohesive: The Kaffe stripes, the Moda Grunge polka dots, and the striped batik.  
This is where I left it....I actually think I like it. (the greens aren't as bright as they look in this picture)  I need to quilt the top purple panel then figure out the arrangement and how I'm going to attach the squares.  I think it has a fun...artsy...collage type vibe....just what I was going for!  





No comments:

Post a Comment