Pages - Menu

Monday, July 27, 2026

Plenty of Potential

The art of not being ready and doing it anyway will take you far! Rob Dance

Becky had a beautiful blue, white and gold floral calendar hanging in her studio. I wish I would have taken a photo of that whole wall...it's so magical. Every time I go...there's something new.

Before I left I asked her if I could have a page from one of the previous months....she sent me home with two. I knew they had plenty of potential.

Ever since I came across the little paper cut from a another calendar with gold highlights....I've wanted to try another one. The random color images and gold accents give the cut piece such character....not something you can plan.

So I cut off a swatch from one of the pages and took advantage of the glorious afternoon on the patio and started cutting. No particular plan other than doing leaf shapes. 

I worked from the back....it's much easier to see what you're doing on the white side. All those little leaf cutouts will be useful too.

Once I had the leaf shapes cut...I did the fussy cutting around the outside with a pair of scissors. That's so much easier than trying to do it with an exacto knife. It doesn't look like much at this point....but I knew the potential was there.


I love it....and I'm going to send it to Becky so she can tuck it into one of her art journals. I intended to cut a stem...but I forgot. So it's just a fun starburst of leaves with plenty of potential.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us on this magical step by step journey of potential made actual, MaryAnn. I can still feel this glorious day humming inside me, and I love knowing you were out on your patio humming along with this magnificent project, a project that is now infused with the glory of a summer afternoon in July and abundant MaryAnn maker joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you experienced a glorious day too Dotty! I just love this weather. This little leafy starburst does look like a summer afternoon in July!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful paper cut , MaryAnn! Cutting it out from the back gives you a lovely surprise at the end when you turn it over! Such a great idea! I'm going to try this today and put the results in one of my joy journals, which I've been working on. More inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete