C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, January 26, 2015

Not Your Average Marble


When I posted about my bowl of art marbles...I knew I would share another special marble in my collection. But first I have to tell a little back story.

I love the  glasswork of Nocholas Kekic.  I have a couple of his "squarebles" that I display on my kitchen window sill. They look like ice cubes and are filled with beautiful patterns of colored class.

My friend Anita and I attended "Craft Boston" a few years ago.  It's a beautiful show in the city featuring all kinds of amazing arts and crafts...most of which I can't afford...but I am always inspired and it's fun to look.  As we were making the rounds I spotted Nicholas' beautiful glass and had to stop...then I spotted the marble.

As you can see from the picture...it's a big marble...the size of a baseball. Nicholas had also created a concave glass base that allowed the marble to be spun like a top. Sold! I love tops and I love marbles so it was a match made in heaven. (It may not surprise you that I have a small top collection...my sister Angie's is much more impressive.)

Part two...or is it three...of the story...sorry...we're almost there.  I decided to make a video tape of the marble spinning thinking I would post it.  Funny thing is I had been taking little videos on my camera for several years and had not downloaded one.  I knew they were there...but never took the time to figure out how to retrieve them...never had a reason to.

Listening to the voice of my son, Nate, that rattles around in my head..."just Google it." Long story short I succeeded getting the videos onto my computer...but it took over an hour because I had a few years worth to download.  I wasn't able to get the actual video on this page but did get it on youtube...so click the the link below the picture to watch. My husband said that no one would actually watch it to the end...it spins for 2 minutes 20 seconds.  Go ahead...prove him wrong.

 Not Your Average Marble!



6 comments:

  1. ha, tell Paul I watched the entire 2:20--and it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, indeed! I knew at least one person would watch the whole thing! You are a loyal friend Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is actually nicest as it slows down and you can see the lines inside. I'm amazed it spins that long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! It's a fun souvenir of our day together at "Craft Boston." We need to forge into the city more often in the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOTH Beth and I watched it to the end! I agree with Anita - you can really appreciate the artistry when the marble slows down.

    ReplyDelete