C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 9, 2015

The Christmas Challenge

Several years ago my sister Marilyn initiated a creative challenge/exchange.  This started a phase of sharing and exchanging art with various people that has lasted for years, and has pushed and fostered my creativity.  Here is where it all started.  

Much more about shared art to come.....

Marilyn had been collecting several sizes of corrugated blocks used as packaging from her work.  They were sturdy...almost like an expensive canvas....but free.
I had some left over Christmas cards with images of little cartoon figures carrying Christmas trees that we used as our inspiration.  Our challenge was to create a Christmas picture using the 
block and the card and we would trade our results. 
          Here is what we came up with.


I collaged several images of trees from recycled Christmas cards and punched out the little images from the inspiration card and used them as ornaments hanging on a branch. The star is a wooden cut-out I had in my stash. 
 Marilyn used a similar tree theme and made a whimsical village of trees cut from Laurel Burch fabric.  She used the card images marching in a parade.  I love the buttons and snowy glitter embellishment.





The whimsical forest hangs
in my downstairs bathroom
every Christmas.









Stay tuned for the "Winter Challenge"...


No comments:

Post a Comment