C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, October 9, 2016

A Little Experiment

I've had these colorful 5 point star blocks pinned on one of my Pinterest boards for quite sometime. These particular blocks are machine pieced by Carmen Rose.  She has a great tutorial on her blog but I wondered if I could make them by fusing. So I did a little experimenting and came up with a way to make the center motif.


Following the instructions on Carmen's blog I drew a star pattern on a pice of paper. I forgot to take a photo so this picture is actually compliments of her blog. I cut out each star point to use as a pattern.





I prepared fused fabric in a variety of small prints and patterns.  I knew I was going to top stitch in the end so I was not concerned about using commercial fabrics which contain chemicals that sometimes keep them from holding the fusing well. I cut narrow strips from all the fabrics and fused them in sets of two.
I lined the center of the pattern piece up with the seam and cut the piece a little larger than the pattern.




Finally I fused the star points back together overlapping a little each time.  I had to do a little trimming to keep things neat and tidy...but it went together pretty well.

Here's my little experimental fused 5 point star.  
Now I just am going to keep building with some other colors....but that's for another day.


2 comments: