C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

More Stitched Bindings

Class #3 of the stitched binding class focused on stab binding. We started with a very basic book (the brown one) where the binding ends up with a little handle to hang it.  Then we learned a few decorative stitches. Annie demonstrated how overlay papers can be added for interest like on the orange book. End strings can be cut short...or kept long and beads could be added.  Books with this type of binding don't lay flat when open...but they would be great for notes and lists.



I also squeezed in the second lesson I missed....a hard cover window binding. 

I couldn't be more excited about this one and it was easier than I thought. Annie got me started and I finished it at home right after class. The pages of this book lay completely flat when open which works well for a journal or sketchbook.

The sky is the limit with this type of binding. You can see that I used a few colored pages on some of the signatures creating a pattern in the spine. More contrasting string could be used, beads could be added right at the top and bottom on the little window, and you could even weave in special fibers. I'm just giddy! 

I'm looking forward to class #4 next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment