C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Six Word Story Book....a Shared Art Project


Becky, Tracie (both from Wisconsin) and I shared an interesting project that we called "The Six Word Story Book.  Each of us started with a blank cardboard children's book.  Our goal was to write about what was going on with us at the time in just six words and then illustrate it.  We started with a page in our own book then sent it on to the next person. The books went around the circle three times over the course of a year. Our final book had three pages from each person.

This is my book....I collaged punched squares from one of my old "Sun, Moon, and Stars" calendars for the cover.   (click here to read about these calendars)

The most interesting aspect of the challenge was to describe our current "story" in just six words.  Every single word had to count. (That's a good six word sentence!) Here are most of my pages and a sampling of Becky and Tracie's. 




Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

I borrowed the concept from my friend Anita....but it soooo describes the story of my life...I'm very distractible.  I think her line is "bright shiny object syndrome"...or something like that.  I had this advertisement of bangles in my stash and I just embellished the heck out of it.  







Welcoming fall nesting and cozy evenings.


I used photocopies of actual leaves from my yard, metallic origami paper, and little village images from a Christmas Card.  


Making peace with sadness and loss.

During this project I lost my younger brother Rich after months of fighting a brain tumor.  It was a tragic loss....but it was my "story" so I found a way to illustrate it. In many ways that process of creating this page helped me work though some of the grief.

I used the sympathy cards I received....starting at the top with the color gray and the actual personal words of grief, sadness, and support.  I moved down the page to soothing blues and purples and beautiful images from the cards.  

Christmas doodling while watching favorite shows. 

There is nothing like a little doodling to soothe your soul.  It was a winter of rest.





Making new piles from old ones.  The constant story of my life!












Every day's a beautiful hair day!  

Believe it or not I also lost my oldest sister, Becky, to breast cancer during this project.  She was an amazing woman and I miss her dearly.  One of the things she was known for was her messy hair...but we loved her for it.  What came to mind when I was contemplating this "story" was that in heaven every day must be a beautiful hair day.   I created Becky's hair with some of the things she loved...including flowers and birds...and even worked in a waterfall off the side.  I miss you Becky!

An art teacher told me once that I overworked my pieces.....I needed to learn when to stop....not this time.

Stretching her heartstrings coast to coast.  During this difficult year my "story" had taken me literally from coast to coast spending time with family.  I used my sewing machine to illustrate not only where I had been, but most of the places I have people that I love.


And finally.....

The End, or just the beginning?  I was playing around with all the stitch options on my new sewing machine wondering what would be my next project.







A Few of Becky's
January, armed with flannel, wool....umbrella?
One of those strange Wisconsin winters with
back and forth temperatures.


Hiding clutter in pretty colored boxes.

This page ended up being opposite my 
"making piles" story...Becky and 

I have always made a good match!                                         

Lifetime searching for the perfect pen. 

Actual photos of Becky's pens...by the way.













 A few of Tracie's

Dreaming of reading on the beach.

 Don't we all!






Learning to enjoy a new perspective.
(Tracie's two beautiful daughters)












Sweet memories lead 
grief toward acceptance.

Tracie also suffered loss during this project.  



This was a good thing we did Becky and Tracie!  Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Amazing what can be conveyed in 6 words. But considering how a picture can be worth 1000 words, you have created a literary treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I loved doing this book...and coming up with the 6 words that represented my current story was a fun challenge.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Amazing what can be conveyed in 6 words. But considering how a picture can be worth 1000 words, you have created a literary treasure.

    ReplyDelete