C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, March 28, 2015

My Colorful Quilt

You got a glimpse of this happy quilt in the last post. I used mostly Kaffe Fassett fabrics and some coordinating fabrics from my stash. My friend Jane is a master quilt maker and helped me put this together for my bedroom in Maine.  I cut out all the squares using the stack and slash method, she sewed the individual quilt blocks and we both sewed the blocks together during a girls' get-a-way weekend. Then she quilted it for me on a long arm quilting machine and I did the binding.
She's amazing!  Thanks Jane!




To cut the blocks I put together three coordinating 10 inch squares into a stack.  Using the same general pattern with a square in the upper corner, I cut each stack...using 5 different widths of cuts.  Then I rearranged the pieces from each stack of three to create three new squares that were a mixture of the fabrics.  It's a fast and easy way to make a lot of squares.  

Did you get that?  I know it sounds confusing... and 
I can do better if anyone is interested.  




Here is where we planned the layout on the floor of the guest room...before I had furniture.








My husband makes fun of this chair...but it's actually an art piece....and pretty comfortable...for a piece of art.

You're wrong Paul!



Jane has also made me several wonderful bags including this one. She used batiks from a jelly roll and wrapped and stitched the fabric around clothesline...then coiled and stitched the whole thing together.  It's a true work of art and I just love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment