C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Dave's Boxes

One of my funny money boxes.
Every Christmas before my father-in-law passed away he made each family member a little origami box out of old Christmas cards. Dave spent the year collecting his "funny money" which always included a $2 bill, a 50 cent piece, a Susan B. Anthony dollar, and whatever new new coins were minted that year like the bicentennial and state quarters.


I had him teach me how to fold these little boxes and I hit the ground running.  I have made boxes by the hundred and I especially have fun making them nest.

Several years ago I made a set of 20 that all nested inside each other for a friend's birthday.  The largest started with a 12 x 12 piece of heavy card stock scrapbook paper and the smallest started with just a few inches of wrapping paper...the light weight of the wrapping paper made for easier folding.


       

It's pretty clear that I wasn't worried at the time about them coordinating....they're just a bunch of random patterns...most of them from old calendars.  Several of the boxes are from my "Sun Stars and Moon" calendar.

Here is a link to some instructions I found on line...but I do it a little differently.  I find the middle by using a ruler corner to corner and drawing an X on the back side.  I don't want that folded X on the top of my box.  I would be happy to show better instructions if anyone is interested...just let me know.

They are all tucked neatly inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment