C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, April 6, 2015

The Cathedral Window Cross


When I moved to Lexington almost 6 years ago....I joined the "project group" at Hancock Church where my husband is the minister.  It's a wonderful group of women who gather on Monday mornings to stitch, knit, or work on a project...whether it be personal, for the church, or for a service organization. Some Mondays we just sit and visit.

One project that was in progress when I arrived was a familiar sight...a cathedral window quilt. Yikes!

As I posted about earlier here I was in the middle of my own cathedral window quilt and I knew how labor intensive they were. But I didn't run and I joined right in...and over time....with the help of many hands we finished the quilt which hangs in the sanctuary during "Ordinary Time."

Since I explained the basic process in the earlier post so I won't repeat it...but we approached this one a little differently.  I started with 6 inch white squares...and they were starting with 8 inch colored squares.








I am working diagonally on my quilt starting in a corner. For this one we worked in straight up rows.



It took a some planning but we wanted to get packets of nine background squares to send home for people to work on...many hands!

There are the folded and stitched background squares and smaller insert squares...we were constantly laying it out to plan.

Once we got the blocks of nine back....we started attaching those blocks together. Every time you attach two squares or blocks of squares you add another insert square(s) where the two meet.  It's endless hours of hand stitching.  





Ta Da!

Next time it's up I am going to take another picture with my better camera.
This picture does not do the colors justice.

I found a tutorial on line that had some good pictures for those who are interested.  
I know how to do it and I think it sounds confusing.

You can see here where you attach two folded and stitched background squares you create a new square.









The insert is just a bit smaller and you fold back and stitch the edges around the insert.

No comments:

Post a Comment