C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Planner Process


Planner number six is done...July through December 2015.  I chose this geometric fabric for the cover with a contrasting fabric for the spine.



Here is a short version of the steps in my process.


Connie and I came up with a format that would work for her that I designed in my "Pages" program. I like to add images of her art all through the book and I print the pages on both sides on heavy cream card stock.


I use the scoring slide on my cutter to make the crease for easy folding.  



photo from Michaels site
Three pages get folded into what's called a signature. Generally you use more...but I use such thick paper that three works well. The signatures get stacked up and stitched together using a coptic and kettle stitch.









I pierce the holes with an awl.

photo from Michaels site
Here are the clearest set of directions that I have found online by Michael Shannon. I don't do all of his steps...I choose not to glue my binding because I have trouble with that...I don't have a proper press. My technique still needs some work and my stitched edge doesn't always look pretty...but it gets the job done. The cover hides a lot of imperfections.



I have to work at getting and keeping the stitches tight....practice practice practice.  I may try waxed cord at some point.  When it's time to stitch I have to refer to the numbered image above...until I get into a groove.  This book has six signatures.

Next I prepare the cover boards....I have been using up old matte board. It tends to bow a little...so I may find another alternative...but it's what I have at the moment...and I'm all about using what I have. The two covers boards are cut a little bigger than the book and the spine is cut to the thickness of the book.
Then I make some sort of a cover...and like I said earlier I chose this geometric fabric and used a contrasting polka dot to wrap around the spine.  It took a little fiddling to get the pattern to fall just right....didn't think of that when I picked the fabric.  


Now it's time to glue the cover boards to the fabric.  I use bookbinding glue from the Paper Source and cover one side of the boards completely...being careful not to use too much.










Then I put it under heavy weights for several days.  My basket of magazines works well on top of a nice flat board and a heavy book. Once that has dried I fold in and glue the edges and add a ribbon book mark along the spine.

Now it's time to glue the bound book to the cover and put it under my magazines again for a few more days. Finally I handwrite in all the dates.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I really appreciate reading about the process in such detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anita! I do OK with it....but there's room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete