C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Voices In My Head

I spent the day painting in Maine....I'm not done...but I made a nice dent. I consider myself a "good enough" painter. I'm not a pro...but I get the job done. I've worked with and learned from some pros...and every time I paint I hear their voices in my head. My father-in-law Dave, my sister Angie, and my friends Patsy and Cheryl all are really good painters and have taught me what I know.

Here's what I hear in my head:

Painting is 90% prep...take the time to do it right.
Caulk all the gaps.
Fill all the holes.
Sanding is a must.
Taping is over rated...nothing is better than a good steady hand.
Always have a damp rag at your side.
Ceilings first...then woodwork...then walls.
A light sand between coats makes a difference.
Always keep a wet edge.
Don't leave a line....feather it out....always.
Load your brush and your roller....don't be skimpy.
You almost always need a second coat...even if you think you don't.
Store rollers in the fridge in an airtight bag...they stay wet and useful for weeks.
Buy good brushes and take really good care of them...and they will last a long time.
Always store your brushes in their original sleeves while they are still damp and they will keep their nice shape. I've had these brushes for years and years.


I'm tired....and I'm satisfied with my day's work...the voices in my head kept me going!  Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment