C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Commission

Dr. Adams commissioned me to make two fabric and photo pieces inspired by this little "serenity" piece.
She provided two photographs of the same water view...a dusky evening view...and a daytime view.



I just finished the evening view and I'm pretty happy with it. It's larger than the inspiration piece and the companion, daytime view will be smaller. The frame is 12 x 12 and the matte opening is 4 1/2 by 4 1/2.

It was a little bit of a process....picking fabrics and coming up with a design that honored the photo....but I think I landed where I needed to be. Next I'll tackle the daytime view.

At first I tried exactly the same thing I had done before...but a patchwork square wasn't right for the photo. I played around with layers....and knew that was the direction I needed to go.



I chose printed batiks that picked up the textures and colors in the photo. I decided I needed complete control over layers and the slopes....so I did the whole thing by hand. I would have benefited from an appliqué lesson....but I think I did OK just winging it. If you look closely you can see my stitches....but I'm OK with that.  It is hand pieced, after all.

I started at the top...with skinny strips of fabric to create a horizon line. Then I cut gentle curved pieces of the fabrics and played with placement and order. Hand dyed solids and batiks are the same on the front as the back...so I could try a curved piece several ways. 

I finger pressed the edges and sewed them in one at a time.  I constantly laid my matte on top see how it looked on the photo and in the matte opening. Using fabric tape I added the gold ribbon at the top with just a sliver showing.

It's not pretty...but here's the back.  As I added a layer...I tried to cut away excess fabric to reduce bulk.  After a good pressing I secured it all together using fabric tape and popped it into the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment