C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Fusing Frustration

I struggled a bit with this week's fusing assignment. Our task was to create a simple quilt block in just two colors (different values were OK) and in three sizes: small, medium, and large...then create a design around them. How hard could that be?

I made simple square within a square blocks in blues and grays. I liked the scheme and the simplicity of the squares....but now what?  I played around for a while but couldn't come up with a layout that I liked...almost giving up. But if there is one thing that is true about me...I don't easily let things go. I get a little obsessed.

So with one day left before a new assignment comes out I started sketching around the blocks and that helped me see that I needed to "build" a design...just letting it create itself. I started with the smallest block and started building around it.



I created pieces and parts and just kept fiddling. In the end I chopped things off I didn't like...covered up mistakes....added a few little elements to make it more balanced...and then I finally stopped. Sometimes you just have to move on. 


 Three sizes of a simple quilt block in two colors....done. 
I'm not sure I love it...but I continue learn and see what I need to work on.  
Maybe it needs a few buttons. Many things are better with buttons.


No comments:

Post a Comment