C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, May 26, 2017

Coptic Stitch

Monday's book binding class was on coptic stitch....probably the most used binding and the most difficult to master....for me. This lesson really helped. All the planners I've made for Connie used the coptic stitch...but my books had a spine that covered my imperfect stitching. This technique exposes the folds of the signatures and the stitching.







We started by covering our cover boards. We've been using spray adhesive in class...not something I've used much and it works pretty well! Annie taught us to cut the corners about 1/4 inch away from the corner of the board. Using a bone folder bend the ends up and burnish to get good contact along the edge.


Fold two opposite edges around and  burnish again.

Also using the bone folder make a crease along the board and recut the corner.  This technique insures that the board is completely covered....no corners of the board poking through.                                                                                                                                                                        
Fold the other two sides around and burnish for a good seal. Cover sheets were added after the stitching.




Annie made lined paper for this book so we could use it as a journal. We folded six signatures of four folios each. Using a template and an awl...we poked holes in the signatures. and punched holes in the cover boards.



I have a slick 1/6" punch that worked well on the boards.
We used waxed linen thread for the stitching to help keep it tight.

Time to stitch...a curved upholstery needle is really helpful for the coptic stitch. Once I got going I forgot to take pictures....I had to really concentrate.
I still need to practice making my stitches more uniform.....but I'm getting there. There are many ways to add decorative elements to this type of stitch. I will use this again and again...and hopefully get better at some point.

Like the window book, a coptic bound book lays flat when open so makes a good journal or sketchbook. We have a week off for Memorial Day...then one more class. This class has been good for me! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment