C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Gergana Rupchina

"In the moment that something is created nothing else exists and nothing else is important.  It's in that simple moment of combining unconscious and conscious thought that an artist can produce art." From Gergana Rupchina's website.

A few days ago I mentioned the artist Gergana Rupchina and how her tiles worked so well with my tissue boxes. I first met Gergana several years ago at an art show in Portland, ME with my friend Jane. I was intrigued with her simple organic paper and paint designs and the way she incorporated stitching. I'm always drawn to this simple mounting style...giving them the look of a tile.





I spent quite a bit of time chatting with Gergana...and she mentioned that she would be showing her work at the SoWa Open Market in Boston....which I had never heard of.  
I'm always excited to learn of a new art venue so I checked it out...and I highly recommend it! It's part funky arts and crafts...part farmers' market, and part food truck fun. It's open every Sunday from spring until fall and is located in a wonderful arts district with lots of galleries and interesting shops and restaurants. I try to go at least once or twice a year. 


Here a few more of Gergana's pieces going up the stairway in Maine.  Two more stitched tiles and a paper cut.  The white outlines of the larger piece are from hand cut paper....overlaid onto a watercolor.  It has a lot of texture when you see it in person.  For a few years I bought her colorful calendar for my kitchen...now I get to cut them up and use them in my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment