C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A November Memory

I have a full blown cold...pardon the pun....so I'm laying low today. That means naps, Netflix, and more computer time than usual. On the heels of yesterday's post I was going through my photos....looking at ones taken over the years in the month of November.  I came across a batch of my sister Becky when she visited me here in New England in November of 2012....just a few months before she died of breast cancer.

This is a November Memory  of my sister Becky. It's a bit long.....so if you don't have time to read it that's fine. But I needed to revisit it and write it down... and this is a good place and a good day to do just that.


One of Becky's main goals during this visit was to go to the beach. I couldn't make her better....but I certainly could take her to the beach. This was our first stop on our way from Lexington to South Portland.... the beach in Ocean Park, Maine....known to my kids as Jane's Beach. It was a chilly, gray November day....but it was also very beautiful. We went to 5 different beaches in just a few days and I treasure the memories.


One of the most memorable moments was when we decided to walk out the stone breakwater to the Spring Point Ledge Light in South Portland.  It's farther than you think to the light....but Becky was up for it. We had to make a little bit of a jump between some of the rocks...but I held her hand and we kept going. She was determined....and I was right there with her.




At about the 1/2 way point I realized I didn't have my cell phone on me and there was no one else around.  We looked ahead...and we looked back...and after some discussion and even some laughter about the wisdom in our choices we called it a victory and decided to turn around. 



Becky was like a second mom to me.  I was the 7th of 9 children and she was my oldest sister. I had a good relationship with my mom....but I often went to Becky for advise...you know...on girl stuff. She watched out for the rest of us and right up until she died...she was humble, generous, and an absolute breath of fresh air.


At a family gathering when we were telling Becky stories before her funeral....her son Ryan shared what he told his wife Rachel before she met his mom for the first time.  He warned her that she would probably have messy hair...and if she didn't already have something spilled on her shirt...she would before the end of the night. And sure enough both were true and they chuckled all the way home. Just last night I looked down and realized I had spilled something on my shirt....and I immediately thought of Becky. Spilling on my shirt is a frequent occurrence for me these days too...but maybe that's how I connect with Becky...and that makes me smile.


After Becky's visit I sent her this silly digital card thanking her for coming to spend time with me. It captures the gray of November...but also the color and joy that filled our visit.

I miss you Becky and I'm thinking of you on this November day!



No comments:

Post a Comment