C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Slug Shenaigans

Laughter and sorrow often travel together, and sometimes the silliest things carry us through the hardest moments. Diane Wilk

Yesterday while I was visiting Patty I got to hear more about Sluggo...her precious banana slug. Sluggo is now featured in a book called ADVENTURE IS IN MY SOUL. It's true story of how after a tragic loss an entire extended family found connection, comfort, and laughter through a stuffed banana slug named Sluggo

Patty was instrumental in making sure all the family members had a cousin of Sluggo that could comfort them and accompany them during family gatherings and travels. Patty's clever like that!
Everyone played along and over a period of several months shared their slug's shenanigans through group texts and emails. Patty's sister-in-law Diane turned these adventures into a book. It's just a delight.


Even in life's darkest seasons, there is still room for laughter, joy and absurdity. Family Matters. Loves survives grief. And sometimes the best way forward is simply to hold tightly to on another and keep smiling at the wonderfully ridiculous parts of being human.

After our visit....Patty brought Sluggo down to photograph him in my garden with The Traveling Flowers....they seem to be related not only in color....but in spirit. Cherie and Dale had fun on their wonderfully ridiculous journey with these flowers. 

The whole Traveling Flowers journey can be tracked in these posts...in reverse order.

8 comments:

  1. omg! Sluggo and the traveling flowers are made for each other! THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the story of the traveling flowers was the best thing I had heard about lately, but this tale of Sluggo is so very sweet. I admire families who can be so connected and playful with each other. Sluggo looks perfect with the traveling flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love this story! The St Louis zoo opened an insectarium many years ago that included banana slugs and they have been part of our call out of yellow VW bugs ever since. What a wonderful way to nurture a family through a tragic loss and how loving of Patty’s SIL to make a book! It seems most appropriate for Sluggo to meet up with the traveling flowers, seeing as how they both have adventures and are both yellow :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a fun little nugget about the St Louis Zoo! Yes...Sluggo and his side kicks helped Patty's family through a very difficult time...and I think the adventure will continue. Thanks for celebrating with me.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with Cherie and how Patty's family processed a difficult time by including Sluggo and his antics. I love that a keepsake book was created for Sluggo's adventures - and if she used Shutterfly, I'm a big fan of their make-your-own books. A most excellent idea to introduce Sluggo and the Traveling Flowers. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! These personalized books are the best! This was a fun story to tell...and I love the connections Sluggo and The Traveling Flowers have. Patty was behind that too! Like I said...she's a clever one!

      Delete