C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, August 22, 2015

White Squares



I spent some time today working on white squares for my cathedral window quilt.  And because I had some time...I decided I would try and show how a square is made.  I have posted some "how to" photos before...but never a step by step of making a square.  I learned from my dear friend Patsy.  You can read more about my cathedral window quilt here with pictures of putting the squares together.


I start with a 6 inch white muslin square.  

These first couple of steps are hard to explain and show because they're awkward but I will give it a try. I finger press an edge.
Then I fold over the connecting edges...and awkwardly holding and fiddling get it to the point in the next picture. Got that?  ha ha  I had no idea how to word it.
Basically I have finger pressed and folded three sides.  



While holding it I loosely slipstitch along this edge.  These loose stitches do not show...they get folded in a little later.

I did the same thing on the other side.

Next I bring those two seams together and fold in the opposite direction and slip stitch this long seam.

 Next I flatten it out....
 ...and make sure all the seams are open and flat using a knitting needle or skewer.


I finger press it out nice and flat and it looks like this.
I fold each one into the center and tack.

The final square looks like this.  You can see how they go together using the link above.  


I love this project because it's all hand work and very portable.  Everything I needed for the squares fit into a ziplock bag making it a good travel project.

No comments:

Post a Comment