C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, November 13, 2015

Little Surprises....

....tucked in the lawn and garden.

Last week I was greeted by these funny little mushrooms in Maine.

I did a little reading on line and found that it's a combination of moisture, shade, and organic material in the soil that promote mushroom growth. I know there are some old tree stumps rotting under the ground and this part of the yard is pretty shady these days...so I guess that explains it. 
According to this article, "most of the time, the fungi just stay hidden, breaking down organic material.  But, when the conditions are right, they burst forth, like desert flowers blooming after a rain." That makes it sound like such splendid "event."


Are they cute...or are they kind of strange and creepy? I vote strange and creepy.

"Desert flower" was an interesting description....because when I came up today... this is what they looked like...an actual bouquet of flowers. And just for the record...I raked them all up today...still a little creepy. 
And speaking of desert flower...the bud on the succulent has really shot up... I think it's going to be orange.

And there's another one just starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment