C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 6, 2026

Exam Paper #2

I had one teeny tiny meadow rue cyanotype in my stash that I turned into a teeny tiny card.

Somehow I have a handful of these tiny cards and envelopes in my stash....so I might as well use them up. More teeny cards to come!

Speaking of cyanotype....today I did my second experiment with Roseanne's exam paper. I coated a chunk of it with the chemicals yesterday....so it was nice and dry for some sun printing this morning.


I have to coat papers in a space where there is no natural light so I've set up a cyanotype prep station in my garage. It's working well....and I don't have to tidy up. This is the treated exam paper.


I put down layer of airy plants and covered it with glass. I exposed it to the sun for about 45 seconds before putting down the grass and another piece of glass. 



This what it looked like when I took it to the sink. It's still on the glass.


It seemed to hold up well to light rinsing.....better than tissue. But I still was careful and never took it off the glass.


This is after rinsing the chemicals out and spritzing it with peroxide to speed up the processing.
I'm pretty tickled. I left it on the glass until it was completely dry.


A few hours later it was perfectly dry. I love it!


How pretty is this exam paper! 
Thanks Roseanne! I'm going to think of a special project for it.


8 comments:

  1. W O W, MaryAnn! I'm guessing you are now more than merely "pretty tickled" at this point. What a stunning outcome with this cyanotype and this paper, with its shapes, contrasts, chunkinesses, delicacies, variations, movement, and layered depth. I recognize all the years of play, puttering, practice, and patience that allowed for today's particular experimentation, and I applaud you for every bit of the aforementioned.

    πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty....yes I was pretty tickled with it. Most of my cyanotypes are on heavy watercolor paper, so it's nice to have a light piece to work with. And this exam paper was pretty easy to work with.

      Delete
  2. That’s amazing! WOW from me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this process is amazing, MaryAnn, and I love the results!! And I also love your teeny tiny card with its beautiful cyanotypes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on Judy! I like it when I have time to play and experiment.

      Delete
  4. Wow, such clear imprints….or what ever they are called. A beautiful piece 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty tickled at how well they printed onto this exam paper! Thanks for the thumbs up!

      Delete