C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 13, 2026

Now and Then

Now(ish):

While I was visiting Janice a few days ago I got a tour of her neighbor's gardens and her whimsical coneflowers captured my heart.

The petals were long and loose and flopped around in the breeze like they were dancing. It was right out of a Dr. Seuss book.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. Dr. Seuss



Why is it that right before I'm getting ready for a trip my mind can't stop thinking of all the art projects I want to do. They'll have to wait because there's a long list of things to tend to these few days before I head out of town for a week.

So I thought I might start something new called Now and Then that I might tap into while I'm traveling. The Now...will something from my day that brings me joy. The Then will be a link to something I've created in the past that still brings me joy. There are several new blog subscribers that may be looking for something arty.

Then: 
Back in 2007 I started a cathedral window quilt. The whole thing is hand stitched so it was the perfect take-a-long project. My initial intention was to make it bed size...but 13 years later I finally got it to the point where it could be a wall hanging in my studio. Absolutely the right decision for me.

Here's the post where I celebrate those last stitches: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2020/06/ahead-of-schedule.html

And for you interested quilty types...this is a link to the thread of "cathedral window" posts over the years where you can see my process and progress. There is much more in these posts...so while I'm a bit distracted this will be a way to get to know me a bit. 

https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/search/label/cathedral%20window%20quilt

It really was the perfect project to take on the road then. I need something similar for now!




10 comments:

  1. You've triggered a bunch of memories, MaryAnn, most notably the catherdral window quilt my mom made and the crocheted lace bedcovering I made for my mom for the four poster bed in my parents' home. That crocheted spread was made as individual motifs later joined together, and therefore a terrific take-anywhere project and less 'fussy'/demanding than your cathedral window quilt (WHICH IS SPECTACULAR!). I don't recall how many years it took for me to complete that spread, but it did take years. I kept track of my progress on a sheet of graph paper, coloring in the newly completed motifs as I went along. I worked on that project in all sorts of circumstances—waiting rooms at myriad appointments, while on long phone calls, when watching TV, during meetings, and so forth.

    My question: did you piece the colors together in your quilt by intuition, or were there loose guidelines to steer you in some way? Regardless, I'm enamored of the balance of randomness, asymmetry, and cohesion that you achieved : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that this triggered this memory Dotty! I hope you have a photo of that crocheted bed covering. Or maybe you have the covering itself! And how fun that your mom made a cathedral window quilt too. Although I never got to the full quilt size myself. the friends who taught me have made several each!

      There was a bit of random planning with the colors. I tried to have swaths of color that tied into the next swatch of color somehow giving it some flow and balance. I'm glad you saw some cohesion! I think there might be one or two repeats...but I tried to have every square unique.

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous quilted wall hanging, MaryAnn! It looks beautiful in your studio. I'm going into your cathedral window thread now to read all about the making of it! I know what you mean about wanting to have something creative to do while on a trip! I always bring a tote bag with an embroidery project and a sketchbook when we travel.
    Hope you come up with a project you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love it in my studio....better than on a bed actually. Embroidery projects are the perfect take-a-long project. I haven't done much myself...but maybe should give it a try. I did take my sketchbook the last trip...and that worked well.

      Delete
  3. Have a wonderful trip, MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I head out on Wednesday for a week.

      Delete
  4. Hi MaryAnn, that second comment was me and I did go into your "cathedral window" thread and was amazed by your process. I never quite understood how those squares were made and I love your result! I hope you have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so....but I didn't want to assume. It sounded like you!! Thank you for taking the time to look back through! Have a great day Judy!

      Delete
  5. Your cathedral windows quilt is beautiful…..and plenty big! It really fits your studio space perfectly! I’ll have to look at your past posts next week and get a glimpse into your past. Have a safe and wonderful trip, MaryAnn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie! That's high praise coming from a quilter! I love it in my studio!

      Delete