C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 27, 2026

Plenty of Potential

The art of not being ready and doing it anyway will take you far! Rob Dance

Becky had a beautiful blue, white and gold floral calendar hanging in her studio. I wish I would have taken a photo of that whole wall...it's so magical. Every time I go...there's something new.

Before I left I asked her if I could have a page from one of the previous months....she sent me home with two. I knew they had plenty of potential.

Ever since I came across the little paper cut from a another calendar with gold highlights....I've wanted to try another one. The random color images and gold accents give the cut piece such character....not something you can plan.

So I cut off a swatch from one of the pages and took advantage of the glorious afternoon on the patio and started cutting. No particular plan other than doing leaf shapes. 

I worked from the back....it's much easier to see what you're doing on the white side. All those little leaf cutouts will be useful too.

Once I had the leaf shapes cut...I did the fussy cutting around the outside with a pair of scissors. That's so much easier than trying to do it with an exacto knife. It doesn't look like much at this point....but I knew the potential was there.


I love it....and I'm going to send it to Becky so she can tuck it into one of her art journals. I intended to cut a stem...but I forgot. So it's just a fun starburst of leaves with plenty of potential.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us on this magical step by step journey of potential made actual, MaryAnn. I can still feel this glorious day humming inside me, and I love knowing you were out on your patio humming along with this magnificent project, a project that is now infused with the glory of a summer afternoon in July and abundant MaryAnn maker joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you experienced a glorious day too Dotty! I just love this weather. This little leafy starburst does look like a summer afternoon in July!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful paper cut , MaryAnn! Cutting it out from the back gives you a lovely surprise at the end when you turn it over! Such a great idea! I'm going to try this today and put the results in one of my joy journals, which I've been working on. More inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete