C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, July 26, 2026

See the Magic

I saw this pop of red from a distance on a morning walk....and HAD to see it up close. I was gobsmacked. Mother Nature's magic blows me away sometimes.

Marita came over for breakfast this morning. We had a wonderful visit on the patio...a nice little walk...and just enough time for a quick cyanotype.

I have given her a couple of cards/prints over the years and she paid one of her fern prints forward to a friend and asked me if I would make her another one. I absolutely love that she passed it on to someone who loved it....AND wanted to replace it.

Rather than make one for her I offered to help her make her own so she could see the magic first hand. There is nothing like experiencing the process in person. I will do this with ANYONE.....even on Zoom. 


While I was at Becky's I was in awe of a small set of stencils in her stash....so many geometric patterns and so many ways to use them. Little did I know that she ordered me a set and they were waiting for me when I got home. Thank you Becky for picking up on my joy and being so generous!


The stencils are translucent (until they have acrylic paint on them) so they work for cyanotype.....but some sun gets through the stencil leaving a light blue design rather than crisp white. Once I've used them for gelli prints....they will be opaque so the sun prints will be crisp white...if I want that. I did a quick experiment with a few....and will certainly do more. I'm going to have fun experimenting with ALL the ways I can use these fabulous gifted stencils. Thanks Becky!



This was the montage I sent to Alyson this morning...a nice mix of just some of the magic that landed in my last few days. I hope you saw some magic in your day today!

For those of you new to the blog....Alyson is my sister-in-law and we trade photos every day. They are often these montages that we make on an app called Unfold. These photos exchanges are a great way for us to connect and celebrate some the magic that is around us. 
Here are a couple of recent montages from Alyson in Colorado.


I love our daily photo trades.

10 comments:

  1. WOW—thank you for sharing some of your exchanged photo montages. They are each so compelling. The commitment you and Alyson have to sending daily montages must have your eyes so well honed to notice notice notice.

    And—WOW again—did you ever notice that fuschia leaf! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! This has been such a great way for us to connect and share the magic that is around us. And yes...that leaf was AMAZING!!! I'm going to try and find it again...and see what's happening with the rest.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Dotty - these photo montages are amazing!! Do you make them with an APP? And your gifted stencils are wonderful. Of course you immediately tried them as cyanotypes! I would be thinking of what to do with them for weeks! And that unexpected leaf and "quick" cyanotype are pure magic! My magic today was visiting our local craft supply thrift shop and finding some paper crafting treasures! Now to put them to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. It's so fun and easy to make them. Yes...I make them in an app called Unfold. I learned about it in a class from Philippa Stanton and absolutely love using it. I used the free version for quite a while...but did one upgrade to give me more options. I helped Alyson get up and running and now she's hooked too.

      Visiting a craft supply thrift shop can lead to some magic....and YES...just start experimenting with what you came home with!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that information, MaryAnn. I'll check out that app! And yes, I did start experimenting today!!

      Delete
  3. The cyanotypes may be the best ever use for stencils that I've encountered (I am not into gelli plate printing). And I must check out the app you mentioned - the montages are wonderful. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the glowing comment Julie. I know not everyone needs to gelli print....but my gel plate is one of the first supplies I would replace if I lost everything. And yes...stencils are great for cyanotype.

      I highly recommend the app. The free version works well...but I did upgrade one level after a little while to have more options. It took a little bit to fully understand how it works...so if you need any tips...let me know.

      Delete
  4. Oh MaryAnn there is always a touch of magic and a big dose of joy in your posting!
    Thank you!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete