C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Back In Business....

My matches for sale at Folly 101.
....the match business, that is.

After a recent stop in Folly 101 Astrid asked me if I would be interested in making matches again....and I said yes.

When I first started making them years and years ago Diamond brand matches came in sturdy little boxes with a nice white frame around the logo....and they were available everywhere. At first I liked using images from Christmas cards and other interesting papers and cards.



Astrid preferred simple patterns in dots and stripes for the store and it was fun finding coordinating scrapbook papers to put on each side.


Then it seemed like the Diamond Match company was onto us....they changed their logo. The new logo slightly wrapped around the edge of the box...and I lost that nice white border making it nearly impossible to cover.



I searched online and found simple white boxes from a party favor company....but they only had a strike plate on one side.  So I adapted my technique and got back to work.
Now after taking a few years off...I'm back in business.  I'm working on fall and primary colors and will also start gearing up for Christmas.  

I cut my papers just a hair smaller than the match box....I still like that little white border.
I wrap the paper making creases where it will fold around the box....I like a sharp edge...and it makes it adhere better.


Then I coat the box with a thin layer of medium using a foam brush and place the paper making sure to smooth down all the sides and edges. 


I place the matches under a cutting board for just a bit....so the medium has a chance to set.


I generally put a little bit of medium in a wide mouth container....the mouth of the jar it comes in is awkwardly small to keep dipping into.



Then they just keep piling up. 50 done....50 more to go for this order. There is something oddly relaxing about making them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment