C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, September 4, 2015

Folly 101

For nine years I sold some of my hand made things at a lovely store in downtown Portland called Folly 101...right in the heart of the Old Port.  The store is filled with all kinds of treasures for the home including vintage pieces, books, towels, glassware, and baby things...as well as lots of seasonal items.  Some of my favorite things in my home are from Folly 101.
Astrid, the owner, is constantly changing the store around and getting new things in....and it's always a treat to wander in. It's a feast for the eyes. You can check out photos of the store and what's new here on the store's Facebook page.   
                                                              
Very early in this blog I wrote about my friend Adam who makes the stars and I mentioned that he was selling them at a store in Maine....it's Folly 101.  As a matter of fact Adam is working there now part time.                                                                                                                    
My matches and Adams stars

My Folly story started with a few stained glass pieces, covered match boxes, paper mobiles, and origami boxes. Over the years I experimented with a lot of different things.                                                

In addition, I often helped with Christmas decorating....and this was the time of year we started thinking and planning.  Astrid would give me some sort of inspiration picture or idea... and I came up with something for the front windows...and things to decorate other parts of the store.  It was fun as well as challenging and I look back on it with nothing but fondness.  Over the next few weeks or so I will show some of my favorite Folly Christmas projects.

The first one you will hear about was all inspired by book pages and paper fans. Here is a sneak preview.                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment