C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Unplugging

I'm in the middle of my 12th year writing this daily Joyful Puttering blog....and I've only missed a few days here and there. Every now and then I wonder if I'll know when it's time to slow things down....or maybe even wind things down. I don't think that time has come yet but...but I am taking a few days off.

Paul and I are going to spend three nights on lake in Monson, Maine with four dear friends. There's no WiFi...and virtually no cell service....so we'll be unplugging...and enjoying every minute. Even it if rains.

There will be swimming and cards....good food and laughter. Just what we all need! 
Patsy's family invited our family once a summer when our kids were growing up....and we have such fond memories of the boys fishing off the dock and diving off the float. I've spend hours and hours on this porch stitching with my buddies during our girls' get-a-ways. As a matter of fact this is the very porch I started my cathedral window quilt  I just blogged about a few weeks ago. 


I'm guessing this table is still there on the porch.....I'll let you know when I'm back here on Sunday evening. Have a great weekend everyone! Maybe you'll unplug for a few hours this weekend!


8 comments:

  1. Oh, that table on the porch with your beautiful bright start to a cathedral window quilt! Is that a laminate top type table, vintage 1950's perhaps? Would love to know.

    Your getaway sounds divine in every way, and I am taking note of your invitation to unplug. ENJoY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....I'm remembering that it's a vintage 1950's laminate table. I'll see if I can get a little history about it while I'm there.

      It will be strange for me not to bookend my day with a post...but I'll be soaking in the sights and sounds of this joyful getaway.

      Delete
    2. Years and years and years ago, when my three little ducklings were still little ducklings, Dave headed off to fish or otherwise play in some way on a Saturday and I felt (unduly) resentful of the solo parenting implicit in my day. I thought, "I'll show him, I'm going to go yard saling and spend MONEY!" What I purchased with great delight was a table of the same sort you depicted above, in green. Table with leaf and 4 chairs, vintage 50's, for $50. One of the best purchases I ever made. It served as my kids' art table for the rest of their childhoods and could take any and all messes they made easy peasy. After that it went on to be my tutoring desk for decades. The best! (And, of course, Dave didn't blink an eye at my purchase.)

      Delete
  2. Lovely Cathedral window quilt, MaryAnn;))) My Mom made a small Cathedral Window runner using my Dad's old ties for the "windows" --brings back fond memories for me....
    Enjoy your unplugged getaway...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julierose! Oh....I'm guessing silk ties in the windows of the quilt are gorgeous! How fun is that!!!

      We're about to head out the door soon! Thanks for the fond wishes.

      Delete
  3. You'll see this after you get back, but I hope you have a marvelous weekend, MaryAnn! That porch looks like a perfect place to unwind and stitch. Cheers to a great getaway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! We had a marvelous weekend spending most of our time on that porch.

      Delete