C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Holding Onto Hope

Subtitle: Vote Early

Every morning when I read the newsletters I subscribe to...my heart sinks just a little deeper with constant barrage of corruption and hate.

Some days it's hard to put it aside....and focus on loving our neighbor and finding joy and magic in the everyday things of life.....but we have to. 

Joy is an act of resistance. 

On way to silence those who do nothing but sow seeds of violence and hate is to VOTE. And vote early is you can. 

Paul and I headed to downtown Portland to vote this morning. We both prefer to vote at our local polling station at a church just up the street on election day....but it seemed more important than ever to vote early this year. 

And there is something about the grandness of City Hall that helped make OUR voices seem louder than the haters. We are holding onto hope.

Now something just for fun. Patty sent me this photo this morning where at the Fryeburg Fair's tree felling competition...it's all about accuracy over speed. The goal is to hit the target exactly....and smash the pumpkin.  She noted that the stem looks strong...but what a waste of a good pumpkin. You can't make this stuff up! 



6 comments:

  1. Excited to hear that you and Paul got out today and VOTED, MaryAnn! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband voted by mail, walking his into the post office and handing it directly to the lovely post office guy at the counter. I will vote in person at our polling place on Nov 3rd. And I’ll be ready to turn out with the masses to protest, if needed. I immediately thought of the musical group Smashing Pumpkins when I saw Patty’s photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a plan! And I'll be ready to turn out with the masses to protest if needed too. It's unbelievable that we even need to say that out loud!

      Smashing Pumpkins....perfect!

      Delete
  3. Yes, voting is more important than ever right now, MaryAnn. Holding on to hope is becoming a mantra for me and I'm trying to do that every day! Joy is definitely an act of resistance!! Thanks for sharing that final photo - so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...let's hold onto hope...and VOTE! The added humor from Patty was a good addition.

      Delete