C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Angel On My Shoulder

A six word story for today: Celebrating Connie's tools of her trade.

I'm working my way through another online class.....and since it's self paced I'm taking it slow.  This is a busy time of year for the Board and I'm still so drawn to be outdoors. I will share more about the class in general in days to come....but today's post is really about this sunshine yellow exacto knife.

One of the lessons in the class was papercuts....I think I'm hooked.  I have always admired these....but never thought it was something I could do. Turns out....I just needed a sentimental tool with a brand new sharp blade...and a little chunk of time.  And to perfect it...I'll need a lot of practice.

Many of you are familiar with my long journey with my dear friend Connie.  

I was her decorator, caregiver, gardener, craft partner, and errand girl.  She was a huge influence in my life and is dearly missed.  If you put "Connie" in the search box at the top left of the blog....dozens and dozens of posts will come up.  

Connie is sprinkled all over my home....furniture, kitchen items, her fabulous art, and lots of craft supplies. I often hear her voice in my head giving me life advice and cheering me on as I try something new.  Connie loved taking classes and the depth and vastness of her art still boggles my mind.  

I needed an exacto knife for the papercuts.  I had one....but the blade was dull and rusty and I didn't have extras.  One of the goals I have with the art classes I take is to try and make use of what I already have.

Then I remembered a box I got from Connie....and amazingly enough I was able to find it. The fact that it was in a beautiful box helped. It was like I struck gold.  
There were exacto knives of all sizes...a fabulous awl, and a few things that are a little puzzling that I'll have to figure out.

And win win...she had a whole box of new blades.  She was always prepared...and continues to be an angel on my shoulder. 

Here's a few more of my papercut experperiments....I'm just getting started and there's lots of room for improvement.  And lots of ideas.


And just in case you're wondering what I'm going to do with them....here are a few magazine collage thumbnails with a few papercut overlays.  Also for the class.


4 comments:

  1. The papercuts add a vibrant new texture! You're going to have fun with this, I think ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have fun! I hope you're having fun too!

      Delete
  2. I’ve enjoyed paper cutting - I’ll have to get my blades out! This is such a sweet tribute to Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Get your blades out and I'd love to see what you do. Connie was the best!

      Delete