C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, September 19, 2021

A Light In The Window

One of the things I love about this blog is that sometimes it helps people connect with and celebrate their own stories....their own moments of joy.

My neighbor Sandy, right across the street, showed me this mug a few days ago. She reads the blog....and knew it was a story I would love....and she was right.  

She was the administrative director of the Upper Valley Hostel from 1984 to 1999....a place where families could stay and feel at home while loved ones were getting treatment and care at local hospitals.  

That alone is a heartwarming story....but the connection she wanted to make with me was actually about the image on the mug of the home with the light in the window.  

Upper Valley Hostel wanted to be a welcoming and warm light in what might be a difficult time for families.  Sandy wanted to share with me that this image on the mug reminded her of the light in our window that she sees from across the street....and warm and comforting sight. 

A small lamp sits on a table in front of kitchen window and I have it on a timer....you can see the glow on the far right of this photo. Sandy and Jim's place is there on the left in the foreground.  I took this photo days ago while I was on a walk....before I talked to Sandy.  I was trying to photograph the moon....you can just barely see there in the center of the sky.  Little did I know that we would have this wonderful exchange about warm lights in our windows.....and there they are!  

I feel so fortunate that Paul and I have always had great neighbors....and now we live in a close condo community where we all watch out for each other.  I keep an eye on Sandy and Jim's place...and they keep an eye on ours.  And we all love seeing warm lights in the windows.

Sandy's story hit home for me for several reasons....but mostly because of one of my favorite memories of my mom....who died when I was just 29 years old. You can read about the dining room light here in this post: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-dining-room-light.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment