C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Where Mom Was

I was inspired by yesterdays Creative Jump Start video. Artist Birgit Koopsen used an interesting paint technique to create a whimsical polka dot collage. I loved her art piece and her story about knowing she was home when she saw her cat waiting for her in the window.

During the summers while I was home from college I worked at a supper club as a waitress and would drive home late at night on the dark country roads.  There was a point when I came over the hill on Gibbs Lake Road when I could see the yard light....I was almost home.

My heart would melt just a little when I also saw the light on in the corner of the dining room.  That was my mom's spot... with a stationary rocker, big baskets of books and magazines, and treats tucked in little hiding places.  When that light was on I knew she waited up for me....eager to help me count my tips.

"Home was where my mom was."




I intend this to be a double page but I was intimidated by the lettering.....that's usually where I mess it up. I stopped after "HOME" and added the rest digitally for the picture above and will finish it up when I have a little more practice....or nerve.  

9 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful page and a lovely memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much anja! I thought this technique was fun and look forward to trying it again.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet memory. You have honored it and represented it beautifully! I understand being intimidated by the lettering, but I hope you will finish it and re-post the final result. I loved the technique of one of the artists of using tissue paper as a base, so then if you mess up, it can be redone before adhering it. I don't know if that would work for you for this, but it's something I'm keeping in my little brain. Sorry, but I can't remember which artist did this at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and feedback Janet.....it's very much appreciated. It was this same artist that did the tissue technique and I thought it was brilliant. That's how I did "HOME" but my stamp pad was not permanent ink so it started to bleed. I'll try it again when I get a new pad. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Your background is beautiful - calm and warm, and the house is terrific..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue....I really appreciate the feedback.

      Delete