C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Patience

With just a day and a half of pressing....the other two ferns I collected at the pond were stiff enough and dry enough to play with on the gelli plate. I wish I would have had that third one to add to the mix...but I had fun with these two little guys today.

I used the "go to" blue/green color palette and made a whole row of prints. And this isn't even all of them.




My favorite print came from one of my favorite tried and true techniques. I rolled a subtle ombre of greens and blues....and with the paper taped to the table at the top....carefully lifted the paper and pulled the ferns off...then put the paper right back down to fill in the white spaces with the ghost print. 

It's not the best composition...but I intend to cut it up.



....and the pieces and parts are excellent!

I love that I was able to get some definition of the insect holes and negative spaces. It's amazing what you can get when you're patient...paint in the light of day...wear your glasses...and use a reasonable amount of paint!

This one was just using up paint...and I added the circles in the corners just to fill in the spaces. I used a junk sheet to start with...so there's a lot of yummy texture. A junk sheet is a piece of paper I use over and over to clean off the plate between prints.

And I thought the scheme of this one was pretty....and again...LOVE those holes.

   



I had intended to make a card using cutouts from the prints...but that will be another day. 

It was an afterthought to print another index card....and this time I outlined the print with a fine line black marker to become ICAD #18.

Practice patience! 
Now these ferns are covered in acrylic paint...

so I'll be able to use them again and again.
And just to come full circle...this is the ghost print on deli paper from the late night printing mess.  Dotty asked if the branch like veining on my card was actually the imprint of the texture in the fern.  It wasn't.

A ghost print is the paint trapped under the stencil or fern in this case.  You can see the shape of the fern...and all the excess paint around it with the veining. So it's just magic of the gelli plate along with the excess paint and the slick surface of the card! 


4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! You worked such MAGIC with those ferns! I'm just loving that you took beauty you found in nature and pressed it into service (literally) to create new beauty. That collection of prints is STUNNING.

    Thanks for addressing my questions from last evening ? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty. Now I just need to do something with all those prints...maybe layer some more on top of some. It's mostly just fun to create them....once I start it's hard to stop.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, you inspired me tonight with those beautiful leaf prints. Maybe tomorrow when it will be too hot to be outside I’ll get busy creating!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you do Ida! You've got everything you need!

      Delete