C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Finish Work

Thanks Dale for the vote of confidence on the crazy pleated piece!  Your kind comment gave me a little extra spring in my step today! It's sits waiting for me up in Maine.

My goal this week is finish work. Today I squared up and bound the purple pieces. I used an invisible binding method basically following the directions from Terry Aske found here. I'm still trying to come up with a little better way to deal with the corners. I do it a little different each time....but it works pretty well.  Since these quilts will be mounted on black canvas I don't want them to have a visible border.

I always get a little nervous when I cut into a quilt.  I check and double check before I cut. Yes.....I learned the hard way.....you can't add it back on once you cut it off.


I use the lines on my cutting mat and two rulers. My general rule is to cut it a scant 1/4 inch bigger than the canvas.  This allows for seam allowance...and a little for rolling to the back.  I like a little bit of black canvas showing around the edge once it's mounted. I first learned about mounting quilts from one of my favorite quilt artists, Cindy Grisdela....you can read her tutorial here.

This one is bound and ready for the green squares and buttons....
hopefully tomorrow. 


I decided just to jump in and quilt the background on this one yesterday.  I matched the thread to the purple and teal because I didn't want it to take center stage....but wanted the texture. That made it a little difficult because I couldn't see what I was doing very well.

Before the quilting this one seemed to look a little flat.  Quilting just the background makes the tree trunks pop and creates the texture it was lacking.  The quilting is random and different in each area...but it seems OKish.  I am going to add just a little bit of embellishment like a few buttons...there's a pleasing simpleness to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment