C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, March 26, 2018

Not So Bad

I'm trying to finish some of my other pieces....but I also made progress on the pleated piece.  It's showing a little promise....but the verdict is still out. I do like the continuity of the yellow line in both views. Yes....I should have made other fabric choices...but this is what I chose so I'm just going for it.

I sliced off 1 1/4 inch strips one at a time from each scheme and alternated sewing them onto a long piece of interfacing. Each time I added a 3/4 piece of really stiff interfacing underneath to create the pleat. I think in the fabric/fashion world this is called boning.                                                                                                      
 

I marked a straight line on the interfacing to keep the boning strips straight and I tucked them in right along the previous seam.

I folded it up several times along the way just to check it out... it looks pretty cool this way.



This is what is looks like when it's flat....a little wild looking. The fabrics are a little intense but they're also kind of happy.  I need to decide what to bind the edges with...and how I'm going to mount it. And...being true to me....I may audition a little embellishment.  It's already over the top so why not go all the way over!  
When I walked into the studio the next morning....I thought "this isn't so bad!" Then I laughed at the mountains of fabric on the table and the floor.

I laid some variegated sock yarn where the seams meet at tops of the pleats....it's subtle...but I think it helps soften the transitions.  I'm going to keep playing around with it and figure out what comes next.  I left it in the studio and I may not get back there for week or so. It's always good for me to let things sit and go back to it with fresh eyes. 
  

2 comments:

  1. Good morning MaryAnn, I have been following you all along through our trying past year but sorry for not commenting. This piece though is so amazing I just had to, I continue to be blown away by your work with color. Thank you for a moment of joy almost every day. Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Dale! You always drop into my life at just the right time....with just the right words when I feel like I'm bumbling through wondering "what was I thinking!!!" Thank you so much! I am so sorry your past year has been difficult.

      Delete