C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Rituals

I think rituals are a good thing. We all have them....some we don't even think about...and others are very intentional.

Every evening after dinner I settle in and work on my blog post.....a ritual that I love. It often starts with looking through and editing photos I might have taken...and I revisit the things that brought me joy during my day. Without fail something presents itself that I want to share....and it often takes me on a little journey.  I love this evening ritual.

Today was cold and rainy and I mostly did inside chores...and I didn't take one photo. But there are often days when there are too many things share....so days like today are my chance to tell those stories.  

I've mentioned another ritual I've started with my sister-in-law Alyson where at the end of the day (often about the time I'm finishing my post) we text at least one photograph...mostly of nature....that has captured our attention. It often leads to a little conversation and more photos...and I am appreciating this daily connection with her. Alyson is retired now too....and loving life more than ever. 

Alyson lives in Denver...and we are often surprised we are photographing the same flowers or plants..sometimes on the same day even though our climates are so different.  Just recently we exchanged photos of lupin....I love lupin season in Maine.  And now I know they have a lupin season there too.

The lupin on the left is from Colorado...and the one on the right is from Portland.....ours are just getting started. I told Alyson that Sam used to call these bluepins. That led to a conversation about Sam....who used to impress his girlfriends when he could quote lines from "Miss Rumphius"....a book about the lupin lady.  

And that led to Alyson sending me these photos from an ABC book she has that Sam made when he was little.  Neither one of could remember how it ended up with her....but she is going to send it to me....and on down the road it will go back to Sam.  

Alyson's favorite was P is for picky.

And I kind of like G. Yes....rituals are a good thing....and sometimes they take you on a delightful journeys that end with a giggle. Thanks for being part of my evening blog ritual and listening to my sometimes rambling stories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment