C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, May 5, 2024

Noticing Textures

Alice Walker said that "Whenever you are creating beauty around you, you are restoring your own soul."  I totally agree...and I am itching to do more creating. It does nourish my soul.

But for today's post I am changing it to "Whenever you are noticing beauty around you, you are comforting your own soul."

I thoroughly enjoyed putting the texture project together for the Conscious Creativity class. I always love to look and notice...but it takes time to edit and group...but it's a peaceful and calming process so it does comfort my soul. I actually think I love texture as much as I love color.

It was interesting being in a new space looking for textures....I noticed it everywhere.

If you want to see my whole project with the little video clips you can link to my Instagram page. But I will put a few of the images with some of the stories here. The stories about the journey are my favorite part.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6kE-VKxzXu/

Rusty fencing, a spider web....and rain drops on a car....all with interesting and beautiful texture and I thought made a beautiful cover.

While we were in Lubec we stopped in a fabulous little place for lunch.  

This charming scene was across the street.


In the little diner there were old gunny sacks on the tables under glass and I took note of the texture. I also noticed the tin ceiling and admired the detail and texture. Later it occurred to me that the two were a similar pattern yet so very different....and I loved this pairing. 

This was the only place open in this small easternmost Maine town...and it ended up being a fabulous lunch place for so many reasons.

I loved putting these groupings together. When you look closely at something that is worn or rusted...there are often beautiful colors and certainly interesting textures.  The clouds at the bottom are a timelapse video in the reel.


I always take note of the blueberry fields as we drive Downeast.  The colors in every season are so beautiful...and right now they are beautiful shades of reds and golds.  

Paul indulged me on the way home and stopped along one of the fields so I could take a little walk and snap some photos and take a few videos. It was fun being up close.  

The top image is a slow motion clip from a video as I swept my camera through the plants. 

But my favorite wabi-sabi moment was when Patsy's granddaughter Yamaya gave me this bouquet of dried stems that had wintered over.  

Yes...they had baby goats!
She didn't know it was texture week...and she didn't know how much I love all things wabi-sabi. I carefully carried it home....and knew I needed to find a way to honor it...and weave it into my project.


I added a few mossy sticks I picked up on Patsy's property and weaved it all together with some rope I picked up on one of the beaches we visited.

I strapped it to one of the trees in the woods that I can see from the patio. I'll leave it there for a while...remembering this sweet little moment I was given a very special bouquet during texture week.  

If you're interested in seeing the whole project....you can find it here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6kE-VKxzXu/ 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pairing of visual and verbal stories. I LOVE the way the pairing of your noticing eye and the framing provided by your camera. My soul thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything has a story. Thanks for appreciating and noticing Dotty! It warms my soul.

      Delete